Sunday, June 20, 2010

Another Great Week in Germany

So as any football fan (soccer) should know, Germany started off their World Cup with a 4-0 victory over Australia last week. I was able to be at Heiligeistfeld for this game, along with 55,000 other crazy German fans. It was great to see Germany get off to a great start, but a 1-0 loss to Serbia on Friday was especially disappointing. The game was at 1:30pm, which basically meant that everyone went home and the weekend started early. I watched the game with some colleagues, and then headed over to the Public Viewing to watch the USA game. At first it looked like it was gonna be a disappointing day all around, with the U.S. down 2-0 at the half,
but an amazing comeback to tie it (should have been 3-2 and a victory, thanks ref) gave me some solace.

Believe it or not, there is still other stuff going on in Hamburg besides watching the WC, aka my internship :-) This past week was the best week on the job so far, between finally making progress on the Purchasing Training, and getting tours through the landing gear, engine, and maintain halls. I even got to go out on Lufthansa's "runway" and take some pics with a decommissioned Boeing 747. Also I've made some contacts in the engineering departments, and it seems as if I could have an internship again next year if I wanted.

After seeing a few more sights this weekend, I have done the touristy part of Hamburg, and am now planning on doing some more traveling around Germany and Europe. I bought a German rail pass good for 4 days in the next 30, and am going to visit München next weekend. I haven't decided where I'll go with the other two days for sure, but feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions. I am also planning on visiting Paris sometime in July, so that should be rather exciting too. I was gonna go sailing today, but the weather disagreed so hopefully I'll get another chance. Too all my friends back in the states, I wish you guys could be here too (if you can afford the plane ticket you'll have a place to stay).


3 comments:

  1. Great photos! I have similar ones from when I was in Germany during the 2006 World Cup :-) Also, good work networking in the engineering department - sounds like everything's going well so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assuming you'll be taking part in WM festivities this weekend, have so much fun (and of course, be safe) :-) Go Germany!

    ReplyDelete